Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Yards Park - Grand Opening

While a trip to visit the Red Hook Lobster Pound truck already makes for a nice Friday night, we also caught the grand opening of The Yards Park. For those of you who have not ventured into Southeast recently, The Navy Yards gives you one more reason to jump on the Green line.

Some of you might be thinking, "Why would I want to go to Southeast?" And I would respond, "Because you're missing out." The Yards is a waterfront piece of land a couple blocks East of Nationals Park (which is worthy of a visit in its own right) that now hopes to draw people and businesses to its beautifully landscaped, multi-layered grassy areas and sparkling water feature. It is easy to imagine a bustling family-friendly scene filled with restaurants, live music, local artists, and community events in the next few years as the area continues to develop.

Until that day comes, however, we'll have to settle for one more beautiful hidden gem in this city... that and a more difficult parking situation when we drive to trapeze class at TSNY's new location.


J Says


As I've driven to this area every week for trapeze lessons, I've had the pleasure of watching The Yards grow from dirt pile to beautiful public park. Even though I'd seen glimpses of the construction, I was blown away by the final product. I'm a sucker for water features and The Yards has them in spades. I'm particularly fond of the gushing waterfall that you can walk behind.
While there isn't anything other than this beautiful park (and a seriously awesome trapeze school) to draw visitors, developers have plans for a vibrant retail scene. Though I'm sad to see the days of easy parking at trapeze school disappear, I'm thrilled that this community has a new gem to show off.
The other day as I took the Green Line toward the Navy Yard stop, the passenger behind me yelled, "Hey all you white people, get off our train, there's no baseball game today." Here's hoping that The Yards Park will help draw people of all kinds to this part of Southeast, whether the Nationals are in town or away.

No comments: